Today we have Ellie James, the author of The Midnight Dragonfly Series. She has a great list of her Top Ten lines from her books, which I must say is a great preview, and some of the lines are just plain brilliant! I had Ellie in May during my Blogger Birthday Bash, and I am glad to have her again.
Thank you, Ishita so much for hosting a stop along the Midnight Dragonfly blog tour! Writing stories can be truly magical. Authors like to think they know what’s going to happen, but somewhere along the line the characters take over, and that’s when the most amazing things happen. Each morning I read back over my work from the previous day, and sometimes I sit there stunned, with no memory of writing the words on the page. That’s truly the best feeling!
Today, I’ve decided to share some of my favorite lines from the books…lines spoken by the characters. Trust me, these are not “me!”
1. “I heard this house is like…haunted.” (Opening line.)
a. Sometimes one word is all you need. In this case, the French word for stop has soooo much more meaning. With that one word some things stopped, but a whole lot more started…
3. “Mary, Mother of God. You’re the girl.” (Jim Fourcade realizing, much to his dismay, that Trinity is back.)
4. “You were the one scrubbed of your memories, not me.” (Dylan, dressed only in his low-slung jeans, to Trinity.)
From Broken Illusions…
5. “What if I can take you back into your dreams?” (Detective Aaron LaSalle, offering to help Trinity explore the truth about her precognitive dreams…and a whole lot more…)
6. “Because you’re you, and no one else is.” (Chase. Ah, poor dear Chase.)
7. “I wanted to hurt him for being in your dreams, when I wasn’t.” (More Chase, as he’s beginning to realize that when Trinity closes her eyes, she’s with someone else.)
8. “I’ll always find you.” (Shadowy figure during dream regression.)
9. “You are of two worlds, two realms: the here and the now, while still being connected to the mysteries of the Universe.” (Madam Isobel)
10. “Your heart’s on fire.” (Can’t say, but you can guess!)
11. “Sometimes it’s not about the danger, but what’s on the other side.” (Dylan to Trinity)
12. “Will you touch me like you did before, and make the darkness go away?” (Yeah. Just…yeah.) (Please?)
Most people who know Ellie think she’s your nice, average wife and mom of two little kids. They see someone who does all that normal stuff, like grocery shopping, going to soccer games, and somehow always forgetting to get the house cleaned and laundry done.
What they don't know is that more often than not, this LSU J-School alum is somewhere far, far away, deeply embroiled in solving a riddle or puzzle or crime, testing the limits of possibility, exploring the unexplained, and holding her breath while two people fall in love.
Regardless of which world Ellie’s in, she loves rain and wind and thunder and lightning; the first warm kiss of spring and the first cool whisper of fall; family, friends, and animals; dreams and happy endings; Lost and Fringe; Arcade Fire and Dave Matthews, and last but not least…warm gooey chocolate chip cookies.
Her next book, FRAGILE DARKNESS, is available from Griffin Teen November 27, 2012.
About the Midnight Dragonfly Series
Glimpses. That’s all they are. Shadowy premonitions flickering through sixteen year old psychic Trinity Monsour’s dreams. Some terrify: a girl screaming, a knife lifting, a body in the grass. But others--the dark, tortured eyes and the shattering kiss, the promise of forever--whisper to her soul. They come without warning. They come without detail.
But they always mean the same thing: The clock is ticking, and only Trinity can stop it.
Find out how in Shattered Dreams, Broken Illusions, and Fragile Darkness, available from Griffin Teen!
Haunted Destiny, Griffin Teen, a free short available via all online booksellers
Shattered Dreams, Griffin Teen, on sale now via all online booksellers
Broken Illusions, Griffin Teen, on sale now via all online booksellers
Fragile Darkness, Griffin Teen, coming November 27, 2012
*I would love to thank Bailey from IBBookBlogging for organizing such a great tour!*